During my Wardrobe Architect process, I learned quite a lot about myself and my tastes. One of the many lessons I learned is that I need to branch out and try different patterns and silhouettes instead of repeating the same couple of patterns that I use over and over again. So when Britex Fabrics contacted me about sewing with some of their silk, I knew it was a perfect opportunity to try something new.
I decided to use the Papercut Patterns Clover Dress, which I had my sights set on since the day it was released. I rarely buy something so quickly, but I knew this had a chance to be an easy but unique project.
The pattern has an interesting triangle detail just above the bust, and I decided to use a lace from my stash for that part. Even with this element, which looks tricky, it is a very easy project with raglan sleeves and no closures. It's hard to see the lace detail in the outside shots, but you can see it much clearer in the photos below.
The fabric that I picked from Britex is a lovely silk with a nice body. Not too flimsy, but still very lightweight and flowy. In sticking with my Wardrobe Architect lessons, I went with a simple black background with a small white oval dot, as I knew it was a print that I'd actually want to wear again and again.
As for the Clover Dress pattern, I am not sure it's for me. It's a perfectly well drafted pattern and is a pattern that seems like it would suit me–it's feminine but modern–but I'm still not sure if it is in fact very "me". The main thing is that it's short. Really short. At least for me anyway. It doesn't seem like it would be that short when looking at the pattern, until you add the belt which hikes it up a bit around the waist. That seems to remove any extra inches that brings the skirt to my comfort zone around my knees. As it is now, I can only wear it with tights, and even still it's way above my usual lengths.
But all that said, I'm going to give it a chance, because perhaps what uncomfortableness I'm feeling is that it's different–not bad–just different. And as we know, I need to branch out. I also know that not all patterns, despite all that's going for them, are going to be right for me. So I'm not going to beat myself up too much about if this is a perfect match or not. I might try it again and lengthen it a bit. We'll see. I didn't make any fit changes to this version. The only change I made is that I sewed the belt following the belt that comes with the maxi version of my Lottie pattern, instead of making the one that comes with the Clover pattern. Just personal preference.
If you haven't shopped the Britex on-line shop before, I highly suggest you check it out. There's a lot of amazing fabric on there. And of course, if you're ever in San Francisco, you must stop into their shop. It's one of the nicest shops I've been too, and is jammed packed with quality silks, woolens, and other high-end fine fabrics. There's some quilt weight, but it isn't that kind of shop. It's very much garment centric and pretty mind-blowing.
Huge thanks to Britex for the fabric, and pop over to their site to read my French seam tutorial!