Welcome to week two for our six weeks of Lottie Pattern hacks! Last week I showed you how to add a colorblocked skirt to the dress, with in-seam pockets in the seam. Today, I am so happy to show you hack two: button front placket! It's really nice to be able to alter the front to button up instead of just being a solid piece, and it can really change the garment a lot.
For my example, I chose to use the new Cotton + Steel woven gingham fabric. I was directly inspired by a 1950's-60's house dress style of garment, and this fabric worked perfectly to achieve that kind of dress.
Some examples of that style of dress are above. All of these are from Etsy and link to the original source. Looking at these, I think I got the look I was after.
Because I was working with gingham, it was also a perfect opportunity to put the pockets on the bias. It also served as a very handy grid for using as a guide when measuring the placket and for lining up the buttons. Sometimes what might seem like an added challenge proves to be a helping hand.
I recently brought home a handful of vintage buttons from my trip to Paris, and this was a perfect opportunity to use some of them. I debated for a while on which color to put on the gray gingham, but I decided on the pop of bright shiny blue. But the great thing about buttons, is that they can forever be changed out and swapped with something else. So if I ever want to use these on another garment, no problem! Just swap them and voila!
To keep the dress close to the original inspiration, I chose to use just the short sleeves on this version of the Lottie, but you can of course use the sleeveless or 3/4-length sleeves too for this alteration. This alteration would be great on the shirt version to make it a button front shirt.
My next version will for sure be the maxi version in something flowy like rayon, with buttons up the front and the waist tie belt. Some examples of that kind of garment are pictured above. All link to their original source. The slit created in the front by the placket, along with the side slits, are both fun and a little sultry, and you can see that with the change in length and fabric, it's completely different than my humble gingham version below.
Join me tomorrow where I will walk you through all the steps to make this alteration for yourself! It's not hard, but there are some key things to know for the overlap to fit correctly, and if you want both the neckline and hem to be finished cleanly, there's a very specific order in which you need to sew. See you here tomorrow for the tutorial!