I am so excited to have this new happy place to call home on the web! I had been satisfied with Blogger for a while, but then as many people do, I had reached some frustration with the interface and its limitations, so I did some research, picked this platform, and built this new site that will give me much more room to grow and many more customization possibilities. So welcome to the new home of City Stitching!
Most everything is better, but in the transition there are a few things that had to get lost in order to upgrade and move to this new home. The good news is that I will hopefully never move from this place again, so better to do these changes now before I go on any longer!
Let me give you little bit of a tour around the site to learn all about these changes and more!
- The links is the most heartbreaking part of switching platforms, as things will not just automatically go over to the new web address. But I am slowly going through the most popular links on my Blogger account and putting in code so they will auto forward. I cannot do this with every single post, but there are a few key ones that are so popular I am going to do this.
- If you spot a link within the post that I included, it's likely still going to the old site. I am also going through the 100's of posts and correcting those. That will take me a bit, but I'm on it!
- Do you link to my site anywhere on your blog? PLEASE take a moment to update it to the new address!
- I will be leaving my Blogger site as is for a good time, while people get used to the new address and everyone migrates over, but there will be a time when it will go away, so do please update any links you have coming to me! Thank you so much!
- I went through all my posts from the Blogger site, deleted a handful that just were out of date or no longer relevant, and only moved over the meat of the site.
- All the popular posts are here, including your favorites based on my stats, including the Emery Dress FBA and SBA, and more!
- I also cleaned up all the tags so there are fewer tags and more streamlined categories for you to use when searching for content.
- And speaking of searching, there's a tag list on the right toolbar so you can find things easily.
- This platform also allows for more than one writer, so now each post will have an author's name at the top! Yay! So far all of these have my name on it, but as I grow, this can grow with me!
- And if you can't already tell, the site is cleaner and bigger, so photos can now be really wide if I like! It drives me crazy when I'm trying to see finished makes on someone's blog and the image is teeny tiny! I won't be going back and updating all previous posts with larger photos, but all posts from this point forward will feature much larger images.
- Also, at the very bottom of the post are a couple of handy things–a spot for you to share the post with your favorite social media site, as well as a spot for you to "like" the post.
- Lastly, also at the bottom of each post is the title of the previous and next posts with arrows in either direction, so you can easily go from one post to the next.
- I have decided to change over from regular comments to Disqus. I debated this for some time, but I decided to do it because I have enjoyed using Disqus on other people's sites, as I love that I can see easily when people reply to my comments. It's so much easier than trying to remember to check back to see if the blog writer replied to your comment. This way you can see your comment replies with ease!
- If you don't have a Disqus account or don't care to use one, no worries! You will always have the option to comment as a guest.
- Sadly, converting to Disqus doesn't allow me to import all the comments left in the past, so all the posts now have zero comments. I can actually still see all the comments in my account from when they were transferred over from Blogger, but none of you can. I had to be okay with this to grow, even though it is sad to no longer have them here on the site.
- Want to add comments to the sad comment-less posts? Go for it!
- One big thing that was lacking on my previous blog (and on my shop site too) is the ability to list classes in a clear way. I didn't want a calendar view, but I also didn't want what I had before, which was just a column of images.
- In-person workshops now have their own page and there's a clear spot for the location, date, time, description, photo, a link for where to sign up, and even the options to view a map of the venue or to add the listing to your on-line calendar. Yay! So much better!
- On-line workshops also have their own drop down page too, which will lead you to a list of my current offerings, which then lead to their own pages all about each class. As I see this part of my business growing as time goes on, I wanted a clear spot for these and a dedicated page for each class and not have them mixed in with in-person workshops.
- Much like on-line workshops, sewalongs are only going to get more and more filled out with time, so I wanted to have clear spots for each sewalong. There is now a drop down menu for each sewalong–the Emery Dress, the Marianne Dress, and the Sylvie Dress–each with their own page all about the sewalong.
- For the Emery and Marianne Dresses, there are photos for each entry of the sewalong, making it easy for you to click to the tutorial you are looking for. The Sylvie Dress Sewalong gives you all the info for my new class on CreativeLive!
- Still in progress, the tutorials page will have a grid of images that lead to all the tutorials I've written on my site, including many of the sewalong posts.
- Also under the tutorials will be images for all the tutorials I've written for the Craftsy blog, with direct links to help you find them with ease!
- These are coming shortly!
- To make it easier to find all the items I've made along the way, I have a drop down menu for My Makes, which will lead to a grid of images that click over to the original post about that item. Each time I post a blog post about a make, that image will be added to this page for a running history of all my posted makes. Look for this to be filled out soon!
- And to see all of your gorgeous makes of my patterns, the tab for Your Makes will be filled up with a grid of images of your makes, linking to the posts for each maker's item.
- Want to be added to this page? Send me an email with the link to the blog post (or Instagram or Twitter post) and I will post it and link to you!
About / Contact / Blog / Shop
- The About page will lead you to a page about me, of course!
- The Contact page will direct you to a page with a form that you can fill out to contact me directly.
- The Blog link at the top will lead you to the front page of the blog, should you get lost deep in the site!
- And the Shop link will open my shop website in a new tab, so you can go over there and buy patterns and books as you desire!
Footer / Right Toolbar
- Down at the bottom of all this is a footer with a search button, links to all my social media sites, and a spot to sign up for my mailing list, should you not already be signed up!
- And on the right toolbar, you will find a search bar, a dropdown menu of tags to find all posts linked with that tag, and icons to go to the shop for my books and patterns.
Thank you all so much for the incredible support you show me everyday! I hope you enjoy this new home on the web and I look forward to filling it up with all kinds of yummy content for you to enjoy!