I am super excited to be teaching my first class at the lovely shop Superbuzzy this Saturday from 10am–6pm! I will be walking you through one of my favorite garments to wear–the Shift Dress from my book, Skirts & Dresses For First Time Sewers. And just as the name implies, this is a very beginner-friendly garment, so even if you have little to know sewing knowledge, this is a dress you can make in one day!
In this class we will cover:
- Learn how to measure your body and choose the right size
- Learn the proper method for placing your pattern pieces on grain
- Sew both straight and curved seams and finish them for strength and stability
- Master hand gathering on the sleeve and sew on a polished cuff band
- Learn a professional neckline finish with bias binding
- Finish the dress with a classic double fold topstitched hem
The pattern is included in the class, so all you need to do is bring some pre-washed fabric, some extra wide double fold bias binding, and of course, some matching thread. You will also need some basic tools, all listed at the class page here.
There are still a few seats left and I would love to see you! Even if you are a more experienced sewer, take it from me that this quick and easy make is satisfying!